I had some new potatoes purchased from the Farmer's market which needed to be used, so I opted to use those but this dish turns out best with Russet or baking potatoes. Flakier the potatoes the better.
This common and very simple potato dish goes to the Weekend Wokking event hosted by White on Rice Couple. The event was started by Wandering Chopsticks.
Serves : 4
1. 6 Medium sized potatoes boiled and the skin removed and coarsely mashed
2. 2 Red chilies split in half and deseeded
3. a few curry leaves
4. 1 tsp urad dal (white lentil)
5. 2 tsp channa dal (yellow lentil)
6. 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
7. 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
8. salt to taste
9. 1 tsp turmeric powder
10. 1-2 tsp canola oil
1. In a pan heat the oil and add the channa dal, urad dal and cumin seeds when they start to turn brown add the cumin and mustard seeds. When the mustard starts to pop
2. add the curry leaves and chilis
3. Add the turmeric and salt and give a good mix
4. Add the Mashed potates and stir till the spices combine
Serve as side. We had them rolled into some chapathis.