Just the simplest of ingredients but really tasty and so quick to make. This works really well for a week night meal. Need to use ripe tomatoes and ones that are juicy. Heirloom tomatoes or sometimes called ugly tomatoes work really well here. The curry should not be dry but slightly loose, not by adding extra water but from the moisture from the tomatoes.
I got this Corningware Vision Dutch Oven which I have become quite fond of. Works for making curries, sauteing vegetables and cleaning is a breeze.
Simple Cauliflower Masala with tomatoes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 head of a medium sized cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup of chopped red onions
- 4-6 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp of grated ginger (optional)
- 5-6 slit green chilies
- 1 garlic clove chopped fine
- a handful of chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp of oil
- seasonings: mustard and cumin seeds
- In a wide mouthed pan, heat oil add the cumin and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to pop add the onions and green chilies and saute till the onions become translucent.
- Add in the garlic and ginger if using, saute for about 30 seconds making sure the ginger does not stick.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute till they become nice and mushy.
- Add in the cauliflower florets and salt and saute till the florets get cooked but barely.
- Add in the chopped coriander leaves.Serve with chapathis or soft phulkas.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!