Thursday, August 3, 2006

Arisiyum (Arism) Paruppu Saatham (Dal Rice)

KonguNadu area in Tamilnadu where I hail from is known for its Kongu Tamil and each Kongu family has their very own recipe for Arisim Parupu Satham (Arisiyum Paruppum Saatham). It is a very simple dish made with ingredients that are readily available and has no complex flavors. It is a dish that we fall back on when we want a quick simple and nutritious meal but at the same time lazy to do much prep work. If I were Sherlock Holmes talking to Dr. Watson I would look at this dish and say "Elementary, Mr.Watson", learn this dish and the rest will just come - simple. This would have been my entry for Comfort Foods hosted by Revathi of En Ulagam.

If you are coming home from a long day of back breaking work, shopping, hiking or feeling just plain lazy and don't feel like eating Pizza, Chinese or going out you can easily whip up arisim paruppu saatham. When we don't get to eat Indian food for a long period of time this is what we invariably yearn for.

Arisiparup

Ingredients
1. 1 1/2 Cups of Rice
2. 3/4 cup dal (moong or toor dal)
3. 4 Red chillies (broken in half and seeds taken out)
4. 1/2 Onion roughly chopped
5. 4 pods of garilc chopped
6. seasonings - mustard, cumin, curry leaves, methi seeds
7. 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
8. 1 tsp chicken masala powder or sambhar powder(optional)
9. 1 tsp oil, 1/w tsp

Arisiparup (1)

Method
1. Take a pressure cooker and heat the oil and ghee and add the seasonings, methi,cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
2. When the mustard starts to pop add the red chillies and mix, add the chopped onion and fry till they turn slightly brown. Now add the garlic and saute a little bit.
3. Add turmeric powder (and the other powders) and mix.
4. Add the dal and mix for a minute or two.
5. Add the required amount of water and salt.
6. When the water starts to boil add the rice, chopped corriander
and close the lid and cook for the required time

Optional
Add chopped vegetables (carrots, beans, peas, potatooes) I usually add cut potatoes, the kids like the potatoes.

Serve with lemon pickle, vadakam and yogurt.

24 comments:

  1. Arisim paruppu saatham,you just reminded me of my very sweet Tamil neighbour aunty back in Blore.I have heard such tamil terms from her!She makes vatta kulambu and everytime gives my mum who is fond of it a small bowl too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy both of us have the same comfot food.. Isn't it true that the simplest of simpe dishes are the ones that we always fall back to. Great entry !!!

    Btw would like to see authentic kongunaatu recipes from you.. If you are a non-veg then double bonus.. I have heard that kongunaatu nonveg are great !! Please post some authentic kongunaatu recipes.!!

    Thanks for participating in FMR and see you in the round up !

    Revathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I love "Arisim Paruppu Sadam" with Baby potato fry!! Thanx for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had this before. Thanks for sharing this recipe. What is vadakam ? Is it same as vadam ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ISN,
    Arisim paruppu saatham looks delicious .It is 100% comfort food.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Vineela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sumitha, yes Kongu Naadu people are also known for their hospitality.
    Revathi, thankyou. Absolutely simple dishes are what we fall back on time and again, I will try and post my recipes, I am trying to collect as many as possible from my grandmas.
    MenuToday, Vineela thankyou
    Krithika Vadakam is infact Vadakam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. krithika I meant Vadakam is infact Vadam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just chanced by your blog and absolutely loved it.. love your arisim paruppu sadham.. I grew up in Coimbatore and this is pure nostalgia..
    Thankyou for bringing back great memories..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi:

    Arisim Paruppu Sadam is my older sister Radha's speciality.

    Only difference she does not add any sambar powder. She just add garlic slice, onion, whole red chili, cumin seed and curry leaves to the rice and dhal.

    You recipe brought so many good memories of my sis.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! this dish is my husbands favorite comfort food. MIL makes it all the time for him and try as I might, I have never been able to master it. Thanks for a delicious recipe!!

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Indosungod,

    Thank you for your "Arisi Paruppu Saatham" recipe. I used to visit your blog regularly for recipes. I am living out of our country and a bachelor. I love cooking. Today I suddenly remembered about "Arisi Paruppu Saatham" and wow, It is surprising to know that you have the recipe in your blog. Good job.. keep going.

    BTW,
    When to use the Item No. 3 (4 Red chillies (broken in half and seeds taken out))

    Kongunattu Tamilan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saravana Prathap glad to meet a fellow Kongu Naatu Tamilan in cyberspace and am really happy that you find the recipes I post useful.

    Add the red chillies just after the mustard starts to pop, I will add that to the recipe, thanks for pointing it out.

    It is rare to see a Kongu Naatu Tamilan doing cooking, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I am late to this party ISG, but the recipe is too good, and the chance to ask -- *optional* sambhar powder!?? :)

    Also too good to resist :)

    I can't wait to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, ofcourse that sambhar powder or chicken masala powder is totally optional :) can't beleive it myself. When my mom,mil cooks this rice it is never added so if want it authentic you have to leave it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. tried the recipie tastes great and is quick. thanks a ton! i add lots of veggies to it to make it a balanced meal.what i love most about it is that u use only one cooking vessel for a complete meal.. yipee!! only the pressure cook in my sink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your all recipes... for guys like me who have no experience at kitchen and been thrown out of India, ur recipes are real wonders... thanks... keep blogging....

    I tried Paruppu sadham... I am also from te Kongu naadu area and enjoyed our oor taste :-)

    Thanks a ton!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is very delicious and simple to prepare.....

    Many Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for Sharing .. really help today after tiring work

    ReplyDelete
  19. After tiring day this was really helpful and tasty too

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you!!!!!...was wondering what to do for dinner...problem solved..lemme give it a try tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never had parruppu sadam before...I am going to try this simple dish now. Lazy to do a great prep work..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Indo,
    Have you ever tried adding some kadala paruppu to this recipe, it tastes absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy to knw ur blog on this new year day, shall prepare on my own!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really nothing can equal 'arisim paruppu saatham'.....I m from Coimbatore.... I havent heard this recepie from any other region(Tamilnadu) people..... My family members r great fan of it.... But there r lots of fan for this... Tats sounds great....

    Also u can use green gram in the place of thoor dhaal... Even that comes well....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.