Cauliflower and Potato are like Made for each other, inseperable and highly functional together. There are numerous dishes made with this combination and each one tastes wonderful. But in my kitchen it was time to break them up and pair them with different suitors. In this recipe Cauliflower is partenered with Butter Beans or Lima beans as they are called here. The smoothness of the Butter beans with the crunchy cauliflower turned out to be simply delicious.
1. 1 1/2 Cups of dried Lima Beans soaked overnight and drained and rinsed
2. 1 head of a medium sized cauliflower cut into florets
3. 1 red onion + 1/2 cup small onion (frozen) (or) 1 1/2 red onion choppped
4. 1/4 cup tamrind pulp
5. seasonings mustard seed, curry leaves and cumin
6. 1 tsp of turmeric powder
1. Saute about 1/2 the red onion and small onions
2. Add 3 cloves of garlic and 1/2" piece of ginger
3. 3 Red chillies
4. 1 tbsp coconut (optional)
Blend the above to a smooth paste
1. In a Wide mouthed pan, add a tsp of oil and add the seasonings, cumin, curry leaves and mustard. When the mustard starts to pop
2. Add the rest of the onions and saute till translucent and add the turmeric
3. Now add the butter beans, add a 1/2 cup of water, cover the lid and cook till the beans are just about done
4. Add the cauliflower pieces and saute for a minute
5. Add the blended paste, tamarind juice and salt and cook for a few more minutes.
6. Cauliflower should be crunchy when the heat is turned off.
Serve with chappathis.