DDs and DH all eat toast with preserves or spread of some kind for breakfast every other day or so. So this one would be well utilized I knew. Very simple to make but wit the delicate taste of peaches. I used raw sugar so the end product is darker than the normal pale orange color of a peach preserve.
While you can get several different jams, jellies and preserves from the store, the biggest benefit of making them at home is to avoid adding a bunch of preservatives and also control the amount of sugar that goes into it.
|Add sugar to the chopped peaches. Toss to mix.|
|Put the mixture on the stove on medium heat.|
|Cook till the preserve reaches the desired consistency.|
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 5 cups of pitted and chopped peaches
- 2 1/2 cups of raw sugar (1/2 cup of sugar for every cup of fruit)
- 1/2 a lemon
- Toss together the peaches and the sugar.
- Put the mixture on the stove in medium heat and stir often to avoid being burnt.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Continue cooking till the fruit disintegrates. If needed use a potato masher to mash the fruit a little bit or leave it slightly chunky.
- Continue simmering till a tsp of preserve poured into a cup of water holds and does not dissolve.
- Cool completely and store in sterilized glass jars.
How to sterilize jars - my way
- Wash and thoroughly dry the glass jar.
- Heat the glass jar in a microwave for 1-2 minutes. Be careful when you remove them form the microwave - very hot.
- Hold the metal lids over a flame for a few minutes.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!