Fast forward to life here in the US. There are umpteen varieties of mushroom but for some reason I kept away from the white button mushrooms perhaps this thing that anything white is bad was perhaps playing in the back of head when I was passing by these white button mushrooms?
These cute white fresh button mushrooms came home with me on one of my grocery runs and they have several times since. We are all glad they did. Cooked this way the mushrooms are a treat.
Button Mushrooms FryLike what you are reading? Subscribe!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 - 1 lb small white button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of chopped shallots (Red onion can be used but it is preferable to use shallots)
- 2 tsp chili powder or 1/2 tbsp sambhar powder
- salt to taste
- seasonings: mustard, curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- Wash the mushrooms and let the water drain completely and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Leave them whole, no need to chop.
- In a kadai or a wide mouthed pan, heat oil and add the seasonings.
- Add the onions and saute till they are nice and brown.
- Turn the heat to high and add in the mushrooms, saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the spice powder and salt and saute for 4-5 minutes more and turn off the heat.