1. 1/2 Medium Sized Onion
2. 2 Red Chillies
3. 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
4. 1/4 methi seeds
5. a pinch asfoetida
6. 2 Garlic cloves
7. Salt to taste
1. Dry roast 2,3,4,5 and set aside
2. Add a little bit of oil, saute the onions till translucent add the garlic and saute a few seconds more
3. Add the Gongural leaves and saute till they are wilted about 7-8 minutes
Cool and blend
Brinjal Stir Fry (Kathirikkai poriyal)
1. 10-12 firm eggplants sliced
2. 1/2 Onion Sliced
3. Seasonings: mustard, curry leaves
1. 2 Red Chillies
2. 1/2 Tbsp Corriander Seeds
3. 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
4. a few Peppercorns
5. 1 tbsp Split Urad Dal
6. 1 tsp Bengal Gram Dal
7. 1 pinch asfoetida
8. 2 Cloves Garlic
Dry roast all the above and powder
1. In a wide mouthed pan, heat oil and add mustard and curry leaves.
2. Add the onions and fry till translucent.
3. Add the brinjal slices and saute till they start to turn color, cover with a lid and cook till they are almost cooked.
4. Now add the powder and enough salt.
5. Saute for a few more minutes.
Without too much oil this is one fry that tastes fantastic every time and when made with fresh egpplants they are truly astonishing.