Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Kathirikkai Kara Kulambu (Spicy Brinjal Curry)

DSCN1566
I picked a few brinjal from my plants yesterday, with the weather turning cold this early this might be the last batch that I am going to get this year. I feel sad but Oh well. I wanted to cook my favourite Kathrikkai Kulambu of which I never get tired of. This is my aunt's recipe. I have used both the long variety and the small round ones. The small round ones are the best for this dish.

Ingredients
1. 10 small sized round brinjals (cut the brinjals into 4 pieces not all the way through leave the stem portion intact)
DSCN1569
2. 1/2 onion chopped into small pieces
3. 5 garlic pods (optional)
4. 1/2 cup tamarind pulp
5. seasonings, curry leaves, mustard, ural dal, methi seeds, asfoetida a pinch
6. 1 tbsp coconut paste or powdered pottukadalai (dahlia) (optional)
7. 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
8. salt to taste
9. 2 tsp oil
10. 1 tsp sugar

Ground Mixture
1. 3/4 red onion or about 15 small onions
2. 2 tbsp corriander seeds
3. 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
4. 4 red chillies
5. 1/2 tsp pepper

dry roast 2-5 set aside and saute the onions in a little bit of oil and make a smooth paste.

Method
1. In a pan heat the oil add the seasonings, adding the mustard last and when the mustard starts to splutter
2. Add the onions and saute a little bit
3. Add the cut brinjals and fry them till the skin starts to turn brown. An another name for this dish is Ennai Kathrikkai so the amount of oil added depends on taste.
4. Add the turmeric powder and then add the garlic and saute for a minute.
5. Add the ground mixture and tamarind juice, close the lid and cook in medium heat till the brinjals are fully cooked.
6. Add the salt, sugar and the powdered dahlia mixed in about 1/2 tbsp of water or the coconut paste, mix well and turn the heat off in 2-3 minutes.

DSCN1570

Serve with rice or as a spicy side for dal rice.

Green Beans and Lima Beans poriyal
DSCN1568

10 comments:

  1. You are soo lucky to get eggplants still!!Mine died already!!WAH...

    Your dishes , both of them, are mouthwatering!!YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make Okra in the same way.Ur curry looks good. Will try it with my last batch of eggplants.Don't u feel sad now that the veg garden is dying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love enna kathrikai kozhambu, yours looks like a must try, all set for Diwali?

    Happy Diwali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, look at that curry! Can't wait to try this one, ISG :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice recipe..thanks a lot for sharing it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried....It was very tasty. when I type ennai kathrikai kolambu in google ,only this page's link comes first.thanks for sharing......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, I am glad you liked it and thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate that. Would have been nice to know your name though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just tried this as a side curry for christmas night (stumbled across this page while googling 'ennai kathrikkai')... it was lovely and just like the picture. Thanks! Now we're hooked onto your site :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rayho, thanks for stopping by and letting me know. I am glad it made it your Christmas table and did not disappoint. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm... it was my first try at cooking south indian food other than idli dosas! and it turned out to me super yummy... Amazing recipe... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.