Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Hearty Breakfast (Oatmeal with Fruits and Nuts)

The elections are finally over. No more "I am ... ..... I approve this message". Election night is the only time you hear politicians say "The people have spoken". "It is the will of the people". Then we the poeple are forgotten and it is business as usual . So some of them may be happy with a "blue dawn" while the others are seeing red. Anyway I am happy with the fact that the US Congress is going to possibly have its first Women Speaker ever. Now on to my breakfast.

Breakfast is the supposed to be the most important meal of the day. But lot of us just grab a bite while heading out the door. I read somewhere that you have to eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a pauper. But it is usually the reverse for many of us. Breakfast does not have to be an elaborate affair, quick and nutritious and easy is this recipe. I usually buy Baby Oats from Lancaster Dutch Market. This is a wonderful market where you have several different stores owned and operated by different Amish families. Fresh baked goodies, fried chicken and other grocery and Pantry items can be purchased here as well.
DSCN1615

Oatmeal with Fruits and Nuts (Serving for one)
1. 1/4 - 1/2 cup of baby oatmeal (any oatmeal would do)
2. 1 Cup of milk, 1/4 cup water
3. 1 tbsp brown sugar
4. 1 tbsp of chopped nuts (I used pecans)
5. 1 tbsp of raisins
6. Fresh fruit 1/2 cup

Method1. In a saucepan heat the milk and water, when it is warm add the oatmeal, mix reduce the heat to medium.
2. Add the nuts and raisins and the sugar
3. When the oats are swollen and plump remove from heat. I like the oatmeal not too dry so the amount of milk you add depends on the texture you prefer.
4. Top with fresh cut fruits. Alternatively the fruits can be added when the raisins are added.


I prefer cooking oatmeal on a stovetop as opposed to a microwave because it tastes so much better.

4 comments:

  1. No matter how much a force myself I always find an excuse to skip breakfast. My mother used to buy oats for my paati at home and I used to ask her to give me some often,as I loved the taste and texture. Now I buy oats for myself and like to have it just like u have mentioned. Even I prefer making it on the stove-top,it somehow makes it feel more healthy !! I dint like any of the assorted flavors. Never thought of adding fruits and nuts though. Will do that tomorrow.
    Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to go an Amish store and buy some food, will do when I come to the east coast.
    I have oatmeal just the way U do

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! your breakfast sounds good, Indo! I was going to make maple oatmeal for brunch post, gave up the idea.There were too many already!:)
    My husband lost 10lbs eating Oatmeal everyday. I just grab a slice bread on weekdays.Weekends are more like my brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always go in for bread or cornflakes as I feel lazy to cook the oats .. i have heard it is healthy and ur version with fruits and nuts is nice.will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.