Thursday, July 29, 2010

Garden Update - It's raining tomatoes! Simple Tomato Rice

I had never had tomatoes ripen this early in the summer. These are the slightly sour kind which makes for a tasty tomato rice.



I picked up too many than my refrigerator can handle before rot sets in. They were made into tomato pickle which is loved by one all around here.



Vegetable Flowers

Yardlong Beans


Brinjal flower


Female Squash flower


Female Squash flower


Male Squash Flower - notice the stamen




Chilies

growing down!



growing up!

Tomato Rice
This is the simplest and the most easiest tomato rice you can make. I have the Indian variety tomatoes which are perfect in this recipe. If you do not have sour ones add a bit of tamarind and that should take care of it.



Simple Tomato Rice
Ingredients
1. 8 tomatoes chopped (about 2 cups)
2. 1/2 Cup Sliced Red Onions
3. 6 green chilies slit
4. 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
5. 1/2 cup mint leaves or coriander leaves (optional)
6. seasoning - cumin, mustard and curry leaves
7. 2 cups rice (I used parboiled ponni rice)
8. 1 tsp of oil + salt to taste
9. 1 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
10. 2 tbsp tamarind pulp (optional for sourness if tomatoes are sweet)

To Powder
1. 2 tsp coriander seeds
2. 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3. 1 red chili
4. 1/2 tsp urad dal

Roast the above and powder. (this is purely optional)

Method
Soak the rice for 1/2 - 1 hour before starting to cook
1. In a pressure cooker heat a tsp of oil and add the seasonings when the mustard starts to pop add the green chilies and onions and saute the onion till they turn brown
2. Add the ginger and mint leaves and saute till the leaves wilt
3.Add the turmeric powder if using and tomatoes, let the tomatoes cook till they turn mushy
4. Now add the rice and mix it well with the tomatoes. Add the spice powder and mix it into the rice
5. Add the required amount of water and let it come to a boil. Cook the rice almost half way through
6. Close the lid, put the weight and cook for 8 minutes more and turn of the heat
7. Let cool and mix it gently

Serve with any raita of choice



15 comments:

  1. Your tomato rice sounds really good. Been a while since I made tomato rice. Nice reminder. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm perfect for todays weather

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite tomato rice tempts me a lot...garden tomatoes looks very cute..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had your garden, ISG. And your green thumb too! Nothing like fresh veggies from your own backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow garden looks so lovely Indo..it makes me wish for the same!..tomato rice is always a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaaaah! tomato rice, Indo! :) nothing beats homegrown tomatoes, I'm off to check mine today. Do keep us posted about any updates on the community garden. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am getting tomatoes too but not a loot like yours. Tomato rice with them would be yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dont know if your tomatoes are early or my tomatoes are late. tomato rice is my favorite; next to mango rice, looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pics, took me back to a kitchen garden of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. today am makking coriander rice with homegrown coriander and mints. tomto rice looks wonderful. bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tomato rice is always a winner.

    Another idea given that they are a little tart. Cut them in half, sprinkle with salt and let them sit for about 1/2 hour to release some of their own juices (you can add some torn fresh basil as well). Get some crusty bread, toast is and then put some of the softened tomatoes along with juice on top of the toasted slices. Let the bread soak up some of the juices and then eat it - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay, so we got 6 cherry tomatoes, all eaten up before we left the garden. :) I'm beginning to like the taste of raw tomatoes after all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a bounty of fresh tomatoes. I can imagine the feeling of pluckng fresh veggies, knowing that there is no hint of pesticide, GMO and waht not. I can only dream of that here.
    Love the variation of tomato rice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My fav for lunch box menus - so delightful to have one made with home grown tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous garden!! all I have is some chilies growing up & down :-) today i got 2 cantaloupes and a bitter melon, and I guess i should be happy after the rabbit and me fight going on. Love tomato rice !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.