Dee had asked about dishes that can be made with Horsegram(kollu) and around the same time my mom was talking about the chutney she had made for paniyarams with horsegram. So we set around to cooking this easy and quick chutney to be had as a side for dosai.
This summer has been especially wet in the North East with rains every couple of days or so and the lawn and plants not requiring any extra watering. But Rain Water Harvesting can be very useful during dry summer months. My neighbor has one of those oak barrles for harvesting rain water can be installed very easily. I have been considering investing in one.
More information here.
Serves : 3-4
1. 1/4 - 1/2 cup Horsegram
2. 2 red chilies
3. 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
4. tamarind a small piece
5. 6-10 small pearl onions
6. 2 cloves garlic
7. Seasonings: curry leaves, urad dal, red chili split, mustard seeds
1. Roast the horsegram till it start to crackle, keep aside
2. In a bit of oil saute the onions till brown, the garlic till it is soft, saute the red chilies and tamarind a bit
3. Mix with grated coconut and remove from the flame.
4. Add salt and blend to a paste. Preserve the water that is used to clean the blender.
Keep the chutney thick if you want to serve with rice. If serving with idli or dosai add the preserved water.
5.In a pan heat oil, add the split white lentil (urad dal) and when brown add the curry leaves,red chili and mustard seeds and when the mustard starts to pop, pour over the chutney.
Other Horsegram dishes:
1. Horsegram and Snake Gourd
2. The original Kollu paruppu chutney and rasam