1. Red Chillies - 4 Cups
2. Corriander Seeds - 1 1/2 Cups
3. Kadalai Paruppu (Chana Dal/Black Gram Dal) - 1 tbsp
4. Urad Dal (Black Gram Dal) - 1 tbsp
5. Cumin - 1/2 tbsp
6. Pepper - 1 tsp
7. Methi Seeds - 1 tbsp
8. Asfoetida - 1/2 tsp
9. Mustard seeds (black, Indian variety small ones) - 1/2 tsp
10. Curry leaves (fresh or dried) - 2 Sprigs
Tip: Dry all the ingredients in the sun for about 2 hours (optional)
Roast each of the ingredients one by one in a medium low flame, till they turn color slightly. As they get roasted they start to get a darker color, at this point stop. Do not let them turn black (have to throw away if they turn black).
If fresh, pat dry the curry leaves and then roast till brittle.
Let cool to room temperature. Mix and grind together in a blender to a powder. If using a coffee grinder, powder in small batches.