|In a bit of oil saute the garlic,ginger, curry leaves and coconut.|
|Saute the lentils and pepper. Combine the sauteed lentils with the coconut to a smooth paste.|
|Saute the jalapeno peppers in a bit of oil and set aside. In the same pan heat more oil and add the seasonings followed by the cluster beans.|
|Add the tamarind pulp to the sauteing vegetables and bring to a boil.|
|Add the blended paste and a cup of water, salt and let it cook for about 4-5 minutes.|
There are many variations to these basic ingredients which including roasting and blending lentils or coconut. A few weeks ago I was talking to my mom about recipes with cluster beans and she passed on this recipe. The slightly sour cluster beans is perfect in a pulikulambu. Since I had an abundance of jalapenos I added that to the mix as well. Jalapenos are perfect for pulikulambu
Kothavaranga Pulikulambu - Cluster Beans in a Spicy and Sour Curry
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
- 1 cup of chopped cluster beans (cut to about 1 inch pieces)
- 10-15 jalapeno peppers cut in half, seeds and ribs removed
- 2 tsp of tamarind paste (or pulp from soaking a lime sized tamarind in water)
- seasonings: cumin seeds, mustard seeds, few fenugreek seeds, curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp of oilFor the paste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger
- 1 tsp of pepper corn
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tbsp kadalai paruppu or Bengal Gram
- 1/2 tbsp of ulandam paruppu or urad dal
- 2 tbsp of grated fresh or frozen coconut
Serve with steamed rice.
- First get the paste ready, heat oil in a saute pan, add the garlic and ginger and saute till they turn color.
- Add the curry leave and saute for a minute. Add in the coconut and saute for a a few minutes more. Remove and set aside.
- Add a bit more oil and saute the kadalai paruppu first till it starts to turn slightly brown. At this stage add the urad dal and pepper and saute for a few more minutes.
- Combine the ginger, garlic, coconut and the sauteed dals and with addition of a little bit of water blend to a smooth paste.
- In a wide mouthed pan or kadai heat oil and add the jalapeno and saute till they brown a bit set aside. In the same pan add the seasonings - cumin seeds, mustard seeds and when the mustard seeds start to pop add curry leaves followed by the cluster beans. Saute the beans for 3-4 minutes. Add the sauteed jalapeno peppers.
- Add the tamarind pulp or if using tamarind paste mix in a cup of water and add it to the sauteing vegetables. Let it come to a boil.
- Add the blended paste along with 1/2 - 1 cup of water. Add salt and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!