Moving on to the recipe, paneer is a popular among the younger set at home . Joining them I have started enjoying it too. I mostly make this low fat Paneer Butter Masala or Mattar Paneer. Wanted to give this Kadai paneer which is a slightly drier dish a try and we were not disappointed. The methi leaves add flavor as well as taste. Usually dried methi leaves or kasoori methi is added but I prefer the fresh ones or rather I usually only have them handy.
|Add oil/ghee in a wide mouthed pan, season with cumin seeds. Add the roughly chopped onions and slit green chilies. Saute till the onions are starting to brown. Add in the grated ginger and garlic and saute for a minute more.|
|Add in the masala powders give a mix and then add in the chopped tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and let it cook till the tomatoes get mushy.|
|Add the chopped methi(fenugreek leaves) and coriander leaves and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the diced bell pepper and let cook for 3-4 minutes.|
|Add the chili powder and give a good mix. Add in the slightly roasted paneer and let it mingle with the spices for about 3-4 minutes and turn off the heat.|
Preparation Time:20 minutesLike what you are reading? Subscribe!
Cooking Time:25 minutes
Serves : 4-6
- 14 oz package of low paneer (cottage cheese) cut into cubes or triangles
- 1 onion cut into fairly big dices
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves grated or chopped fine
- 1 bell pepper diced the same size as the onions
- 2 ripe tomatoes diced
- 3-4 slit green chilies (I usually shake the seeds out)
- 1/4 cup packed methi (fenugreek leaves) I used 2 frozen cubes(optional)
- a small bunch of coriander leaves chopped (use as much or as little as you want
- 1/2 tbsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp of Kashmiri chili powder (or 2 tsp of regular red chili powder)
- 2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp of oil
- 1 tsp of ghee/butter + 2 tsp of ghee (for slightly roasting the paneer)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- In a wide mouthed pan heat the oil and 1 tsp of ghee and when hot add the cumin seeds. Add the green chilies and the onions and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute or two.
- Add in the masala powder except the chili powder and give a good mix.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and sprinkle a bit of salt and let it cook for about 5-6 minutes till the tomatoes get mushy and broken down.
- Meanwhile heat a saute pan and add the 2 tsp of ghee or butter and place the cut paneer in one layer and let it roast on one side, flip and roast on the other. Slight brown sides are desirable. Set aside.
- Add in the methi leaves and coriander leaves if using and cook for about 4-5 minutes till the leaves are wilted.
- Add in the diced bell pepper and let it cook but some crunch is still left, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the chili powder and mix, followed by the slightly roasted paneer. Mix it into the masala gently. Let the cheese cubes heat through 3-4 minutes. Add more salt if required. Turn off the heat. Let sit for 10-20 minutes before serving.Serve with any Indian bread or rice.