The vegetable garden is my small connection to my forefathers. The day job I do today does not give even a fraction of the satisfaction that this patch of land provides. The travails and tribulations at my day job and my fond dreams of one day becoming a full time farmer is a story for another post.
This is going to Andrea's Grow Your Own episode #12.
Amaranth Green (Thandu Keerai)
Night Shade (manathakkali)
All the greens made their way into this delicious mash. It tastes a lot better than it looks :)
1. 3 Cups Mixed greens (Amaranth, Night Shade and Swiss Chard)
2. 1/4 Red Onion chopped
3. 4 green chilies
4. 1 1/2 tsp cumin, pepper and coriander seeds roasted and made into a rough powder
5. 1 tsp ghee
1. In a thick bottomed pan or a pressure cooker heat the oil and saute the onions and green chilies
2. Add the powder and mix
3. Now add the greens and saute till the greens start to wilt and leave it open for a few more minutes.
4. Add the salt and cover and cook till soft or in a pressure cooker for 1 sound.
5. Add a dash of butter and now either using the masher mash the greens or with a hand held blender blend for a few minutes
Serve with rice and a roast of raw banana or taro root.
Recipes for the perfect side dish
1. Raw Banana Fry
2. Plantain Fry
3. Taro Root Fry