Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Grain of the Week - 1 - Red Quinoa

The new year is upon us. Here is Wishing You a Very Very Happy New Year! Well I am not into new year resolutions but this year I decided to make one. To eat a new grain that is not white rice or wheat every week. For those who want to join in the grain experiment here is the grain of the week.

- Red Quinoa. If red quinoa is not available white or black is fine too. If you have never tried quinoa here is the chance to give it a try.



Any recipes you try with the grain share in the comments section.

Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

8 comments:

  1. A very Happy New year to you and yours too Indo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very Happy New year to you and yours too Indo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year Indu. I know Hans uncle use a lot red quinoia, i though never have used them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make Idli with this red quinoa. with 3:1 (quinoa : urad dal) + 1 fistful of poha or cooked rice, perfement the same way you do for any idli batter. its comes out so fluffy & good. All love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe. I am going to give quinoa idli a try. Will post it here.

      Delete
  5. Hi ISG, Happy New Year!

    I've made quinoa in the past -- it's messier than mustard seed if you know what I mean ;)

    I'm curious to know whether you cook it up in a hot or cold dish. I have cooked it plain with broth as the liquid and some simple sauteed onion -- it has a very different sort of texture that 'pops' in the mouth.

    At the deli where I work now, white quinoa is served up as a salad with butternut squash, but the dressing is strange -- milky and sweet. We purchase this so I don't know the ingredients.

    I think it would make an interesting curry with winter squash ... good food for thought, no pun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      I know exactly what you mean. I use the strainer (the one we use for straining tea back home) to strain them after I wash them.

      I do not like mushy quinoa. I prefer it cooked like rice. It easily substitutes for rice with curries and the family prefers the crunch over the rice :)

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year! I love quinoa but so far have stuck to shop bought versions. Watching this thread with interest...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate each and everyone of your suggestions.