roasted butternut squash
flat bread prepared and readyButternut squash being a regular in my kitchen am always on the lookout for ways to use them. Can't hurt that they don't rot that quickly. So when I saw this recipe for butternut squash quesadilla on The Pioneer Woman Cooks I had a half butternut squash in the fridge and in an urgent need of something to cook for dinner. No kale in hand but a box of frozen spinach in the freezer.
Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadilla Ingredients
- 1/2 of a butternut made into 1/4 - 1/2 inch dice (smaller the better)
- 1/2 of an onion chopped fine
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp of pepper powder
- 2-3 tsp of red chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it to be)
- 10oz pack of frozen spinach thawed, water squeezed out
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp of oil
- salt to taste (a bit under salted because the cheese has salt)
- 4 flat bread or 8 tortilla
- 1 cup or more of Pepper Jack Cheese grated
- In a wide mouthed saute pan heat the oil, add the onion and garlic and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add in the cubed butternut squash and continue to saute till the butternut squash is soft.(see note)
- Add the chili powder,pepper powder and salt and continue to cook till the squash starts to brown on the edges.
- Set aside. To the same pan add the spinach and sprinkle a little bit more of the chili powder and salt and heat through.
- In a griddle place a flat bread, spread some cheese on and when it starts to melt remove and set aside.
- Now add another flat bread add more cheese, spread the butternut squashm spinach and a bit more cheese and slap the first flat bread on top and, let one side get crispy, flip carefully and let crisp on the other side.Cut into halves before serving.
- When cooking butternut squash do not add any water but can cook with the lid on for a few minutes to speed the cooking process.