Thursday, November 22, 2012

Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Curry

Happy Thanksgiving!
I was discussing Thanksgiving with a co-worker yesterday. She had purchased a 14 lb turkey and was looking forward to cooking it with family visiting her. She asked me what I was going to cook. She gave a laugh when I mentioned I might cook some goat biryani, thought I was joking but she quickly realized I was serious. The first Thanksgiving had deer on the menu so goat maybe not that far off don't you think?

.
Squash with white sweet potato
Cooking a whole turkey is a whole day job so unless I was real serious turkey is way too much. The dark meat turkey biryani maybe but a whole turkey? No!.

We also got around to discussing sides. I try to have sweet potato, green beans, cranberry for a thanksgiving dinner but with an Indian twist of course.

When I saw this pumpkin recipe on Veggie Belly I knew I was going to give it a try. I made it with butternut squash and sweet potato. I also tried it with acorn squash and pie pumpkin but was not too crazy about it because both tend to be stringy. The sweet creamy butternut squash or sweet potato is what suits this recipe best.

Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Curry
Ingredients
  1. 1/2 butternut squash about 2 cups diced
  2. 2 Sweet potatoes (use the orange or white) diced
  3. 1/4 cup of diced onions
  4. 2 tbsp curry powder any brand - I used homemade Kuzhambu thool
  5. 1/2 tsp of red chili powder - optional as per heat requirement
  6. 2 tbsp of fresh coconut grated or 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
  7. salt to taste
  8. seasonings: mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves
  9. 1 tsp oil
  10. 1 tsp turmeric powder
Method
  1. Heat oil in a wide mouthed pan and add the seasoning. When the mustard starts to pop add the onions and saute till they are soft.
  2. Add the cubed squash and sweet potato and the curry powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Add about 1 cup of water and let it cook till the squash is almost cooked. Takes about 8-10 minutes. Do not overcook. Add salt.
  3. If using fresh coconut make a paste and add it to curry. Let boil for another 5-6 minutes.
Serve with chapathis or rice.

2 comments:

  1. I think one should make what ones family likes for celebration, I know here it is rukey for christmas time but I don't like that much turkey too. But then I make as everybody else want to have turkey. But i think this year i might do something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy thanksgiving.. Wonder how this curry will tastes, quite interesting combo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.