Masala Green Beans(stir fried) with Navy Beans Ingredients
For the Masala Powder
- 1/2 lb of green beans or about 2 cups chopped. chopped into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions (I used shallots)
- 2 cups of navy beans soaked overnight
- seasonings: mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pinch of asfoetida and curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 8 red chilies broken in half and seeds removed
- 1 -2 tbsp of fresh or frozen coconut
- 1 tsp of oil
- salt to taste
Roast the above and powder Method
- 1 tbsp split urad dal
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red chili
Great as a side with rice and paruppu (cooked lentils) or with chapathis. Note: 1. Green Beans can be cooked in the kadai just after the onions have been sauteed. I like to precook the beans separately as they tend to retain their crunch better this way.
- Cook the navy beans till they are fully cooked but not mushy
- In a sauce pan add a tbsp of water and cook the green beans with a tiny bit of turmeric powder. They should be just about cooked. (see note)
- Heat a wide mouthed pan (kadai) and heat a tsp of oil and when hot add the seasonings.
- Add the red chilies and onions and cook till the onions are soft. Add salt.
- Add in the green beans and mix it in the onion mixture.
- Add in the drained navy beans and let them cook for about 5-6 minutes. They don't have to cook too long because the beans are already cooked.
- Sprinkle the masala powder and mix it in and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the coconut mix it in and turn of the heat.
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Masala Green Beans(stir fried) with Navy Beans
Every trip to the grocery store is not complete without a bag of green beans. Seems like they are available year around. They are not as crispy and delicious in the winter months but they add bit of green to an otherwise orange Fall. Green beans tend to taste blah but once they are hit with a bit of spice and heat from the chili pepper they undergo a transformation that makes you wanting more. Other great thing with green beans is they play the perfect supporting cast in a lot of dishes. If you are looking to cook something with green beans with an Indian twist for this thanksgiving that is different from the usual fare here are few recipes that might be of interest.