Slow Cooked Rajma Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups of Red Kidney Beans soaked overnight
- 1 onion (about 1 1/2 cups chopped very fine or use the food processor)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 heaping tbsp of ginger grated
- 2 tomatoes pureed about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp of red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp of curry powder (any brand or type is fine)
- seasonings: 2 cloves, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and a small piece of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- wedges of lemon
- 2 tsp of oil
Serve with chapathis or rice. Squeeze the lemon just before serving. Note: 1. Take care not to overcook the beans. If using the pressure cooker cook the beans on high heat for one whistle or on a stove top till just cooked.
- Wash the soaked beans in 3-4 changes of water and pressure cook with a tsp of salt for a whistle. see Note.
- In a Pressure Cooker or a wide mouthed pan heat oil and add the seasonings.
- Add in the minced onions and saute till the onions are nice and brown.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger and saute for a minute more.
- Add in the powders and mix it into the onion mixture. Add the chopped cilantro, save a few for the end.
- Add the pureed tomato and let it cook till the raw smell is gone completely and the gravy thickens about 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and the cooking liquid and in medium low heat let it cook till the water evaporates and the gravy reaches a thick consistency (about 25 minutes). Add salt towards the end. Add the coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Slow cooked Rajma - Red Beans Spicy Curry
What a destructive force hurricane Sandy has been. It was scary and loud when it blew through last night. Luckily no major damages that I can see in the vicinity. We had some leaks in the basement because of blowing rain and water seeping through cracks and holes. Will get to those in time. Compared to the he water damage up and down the eastern seaboard this is nothing. Luckily for us through the whole ordeal we had power. I was more scared during the Derecho storm in the summer which was considered a rare occurrence with intense lightening, tremendous wind and rain. The destruction in the DC area was severe. I was scared stiff while I sat in the basement - the only place where the lightening was not visible. Hurricane Sandy dubbed the Frankenstorm is also supposed to be a rare event with the hurricane colliding with a nor'easter. Fingers crossed for those without power and loss/damage to property. Looks like more and more of these rare storms are blowing through which means they are not that rare?. I forgot to bring my laptop home on Friday. I decided to take an impromptu day off for the weather event. When I have nothing else to do I end up doing stuff in the kitchen. Usually while cooking red kidney beans I follow the quick and easy Pressure Cooker method. Since I had some time decided to follow the longer cooking method. The taste is noticeably better. This recipe is based off the recipe on Chakali.