Jump to the Recipe >>>
I want to throw a fit every time a politician calls himself/herself a patriot or somebody else introduces a politician as a patriot. Oh come on don't you? I do not for a minute believe the folks sitting in the Congress, Senate or White House are doing what they are doing the last couple of weeks out of a sense of patriotism.
I do not want the debt ceiling raised and I want the taxes for the very rich raised. Both are unlikely to happen. Americans have confused being selfish with individualism and have reached this sorry state of affairs. Nobody will compromise because each one has an idea which is THE best.
Should we as a nation stop being me me and flip it to we we for a few years and see how that pans out?
I do not have any more energy so I will stop with that debt talk and move on to a recipe that is courtesy of my MIL.
Wet dal mix mixed with onions, chilies ...
When my mom came over MIL had sent with her a packet of ready to make Paruppu Vadai mix. Add water, mix in onion, ginger, curry leaves and voila the batter for the vadai is ready. It is very easy to make the mix, store and use as required.
Paruppu Vadai Mix
1. Split Yellow/Green peas - 1 lb
2. 15 dried red chilies
3. a small piece of asfoetida
4. 3-4 cloves
5. 1 inch piece of cinnamon
For the Mix
1. Wash the peas and let it dry in the sun (let it sit out in direct sun for a couple of days, bring it in at night )
2. Roughly blend the peas with the other spices. The resulting powder should be a little coarser than grits. It will be impossible to make vadais with a very smooth powder
1. 2 Cups of mix, 1/2 cup onions, 4-5 green chilies chopped, handful of curry leaves chopped, coriander leaves chopped, 1/2 tbsp grated ginger, a few fennel seeds
2. Add about 1/4 - /12 cup of water and let it sit for 15-20 minutes
3. Take a small lime sized ball of dough and press it flat in the palm of your hand
4. Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown. Crunchy on the inside and soft on the inside.
1. If the wet mixture does not sit for the required amount of time the vadais will become too dry
2. Control the number of chilies if the mixture has enough heat from the red chilies