With thuvaiyal you got to stick with dals and coconut and that is pretty much it along with the vegetable or green that is going to be the star.
Fresh mint and coriander thuvaiyal with rice and vadagam is one of those combinations that you can never tire of.
1. 3/4 tbsp chana dal
2. 1 tbsp split urad dal
3. 2 tbsp toor dal
4. 1 garlic clove
5. a two inch piece of tamarind
6. 4 red chilies
7. 1 cup of coriander leaves
8. 1/2 cup of mint leaves
9. 1 tbsp grated coconut
10. salt to taste
11. 1 tsp of oil
1. In a flat pan heat oil and add all the dals. Saute them till they turn a nice and gentle brown.
2. Add the tamarind, garlic and red chilies and let them saute for minute or two
3. Add the coriander leaves, mint leaves and let them wilt
4. Add the coconut and salt and saute for a minute more
Cool and blend to a slightly coarse (or smooth) texture adding just a tbsp or less of water. The chutney should be thick and not watery.