Winter seems to be here already though it is still Fall :( Old Farmer's almanac predicts a colder and snowier winter!
Pulaos in my mind have always been party dishes more than everyday kind of food. I tend to cook Briyanis lot more than Pulaos for some reason, does not make sense but thats how it has been. So what better way to start Pulao making than Peas Pulao. The Pulao requires a gravy side dish whereas Biryani is perfect with just a raita. We just had this Pulao with a bit of yogurt on the side and it was perfect that way.
Before I move on to the Pulao, I have had queries on how to use horsegram besides the chutney and rasam,if you are one of them head on over to Kay's One bite at a time for a taste of a very tasty Kollu Kulambu. I tried it and I am hooked.
Serves : 2-3
1. 1 Cup Basmati Rice, washed and soaked for about 1/2 hour [Rice:Water :: 1 : 1.5]
2. 3/4 Cup Fresh or Frozen Green Peas
3. 1/2 Onion Cut into thin strips
4. 4 - garlic cloves
5. 1 inch piecs of ginger
6. 6 green chilies (or according to taste)
[ Mince the garlic, ginger and green chilies in a food processor]
7. 2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
8. seasonings, cloves, small cinnamon stick, fennel seeds a few and cumin seeds
9. 1 tsp ghee, 1 tsp oil
1. In a Pressure cooker heat oil abd add the seasonings when they start to brown add the onions and saute till translucent.
2. Add the ginger,garlic,green chili mince and saute till the whole mass turns slightly brown
3. Now add salt and the green peas and saute for a bit
4. Add the rice and mix it well.
5. Now add water check for taste. Adjust salt, heat. I added red chili powder at this stage because it was too sweet.
6. Let the water come to a boil and the rice 3/4th cooked and most of the water is gone.
7. Close the pressure cooker and cook on low medium for 7-8 minutes. Turn off heat and take the cooker off the stove and source of heat.
8. Open the lid when the cooker cools downs and fluff up the rice.
Serve with Vegetable Kurma in the recipe substitute beans, carrots, cauliflower for the peas.