The inspiration for this dish is Indira's Baby Aloo in Tamarind-Chilli Sauce and a huge amount of thanks are in order for her. The standards of excellence set by her is a pipe dream for me but an aspiration nevertheless. The family given a choice chose the ocean over the earth hence the shrimp substitution.
Recipe Inspiration: Baby Aloo in Tamarind-Chilli Sauce
1. 10 - 15 cleaned and deveined shrimp
2. 2 Medium sized juicy tomatoes finely chopped
3. 1 Medium Red Onion chopped fine
4. 1 tbsp lemon juice
5. 1 tsp turmeric powder
6. 1 tsp chili powder
7. seasonings: mustard (optional), cumin curry leaves
8. 1 cup of thick tamarind extract
9. 1/2 cup Green Peas
10. 1/4 Chinese Potates (I used the frozen)
Clean the shrimp and marinate in turmeric, lemon juice, salt and chili powder
1. 2 Red Chilies
2. 3 cloves garlic (sauted slightly in a bit of oil)
3. 1 tsp cumin seeds
Blend the above to a smooth paste adding a little bit of the tamarind juice if required
1. In a Kadai, heat oil add the seasonings and when spluttering
2. add the onions and saute till soft
3. add the blended paste and saute for a few more minutes
4. add the tomatoes and when soft add the tamarind juice and let it boil
5. now add the shrimp, peas and potatoes ( shrimp can be pre sauted in oil, I did not)
6. add salt, let cook till the shrimp turn pink.
7. At this stage if the curry is not the consistency required, fish the shrimp out and set aside
8. let the gravy simmer, check for salt and heat and when desired consistency reached
9. add the shrimp back and let cook for a minute or two.
Serve with steamed rice.