If being stuck in traffic gridlock was an Olympic sport, DC area could go for gold, says this story in the Washington Post that offers the dubious distinction of being stuck in traffic for more hours than the average vaction hours. I take the bus and metro to reach work, it does not by any means reduce the number of hours stuck in traffice but atleast I am not the one behind the wheel. Riding the bus or metro gives an opportunity to read a book, sleep, or chat.
If only more people would do the same and expense wise it probably might even work out cheaper than driving the car. What has Plantain Fry got to do with traffic?
This goes to Ahaar for the JFI this month which features Bananas and Plantains are accepted too.
The recipe posted earlier for plantain fry is the simplest and quickest way to cook them. If you are ready for a little bit more work and some extra time this recipe is one to try. But the ingredients and cooking itself is very easy.
1. 3 Green Raw Plantains
2. 1/2 Red Onion Chopped fine
3. 2 Red Chillies broken in half and seeds removed
4. seasonings - cumin 1/4 tsp, mustard seeds 1/4 tsp, 2 tsp urad dal and Curry leaves
5. Oil 2 tsp
6. Salt to taste
1. Steam the plantains till they are half way cooked and grate them in a grater.
2. In a pan heat oil, add the seasonings, urad dal when it starts to brown, cumin, nustard seeds and curry leaves.
3. Add the red chillies followed by onions and saute till they are translucents.
4. Now add the grated plantains and salt and saute till they are roasted or the texture you desire.
Serve with any rice dish.