Sunday, March 10, 2019

Pasta with Zucchini and Broccoli in a simple home made Tomato Sauce

Pasta is one of those dishes that is ubiquitous here in the US so much so that when I first got here I thought it was the only thing most Americans ate. But what exactly is American cuisine comprised of you ask me I'd be hard pressed to tell because I don't know. Hamburger, grilled chicken, pasta, pizza, sandwich, hot dogs - most of them are imports and some of them have been around long enough that they indeed have become part and parcel of the American cuisine. Then there is the American Indian cuisine which has been around from before the colonial times which made heavy use of what was grown here. But those recipes are not that well known or I don't know much about them.

Each region of the US has its own special foods that is unique to that area like say New Orleans Jambalaya, Hoppin' John in the South, Shrimp and Grits in South Carolina etc., but the one common thread running through is of course pasta. From hating the sight of Pasta to actually liking it I have come a long way.

It is this Pasta sauce that took me a very long time to adapt to. I was not fond of the tomato sauce smothered pasta that is kind very common around here. The kids loved it and I needed to figure out a way to make it so that I don't end up cooking 2 different meals for the different family members. The first thing I had to eliminate was the bottled pasta sauce, too much salt, too much sugar and generally blah!

I realized for good pasta it is essential to have good tomato sauce. So during the summer months while I froze a good portion of the tomatoes I grew either whole or cut into quarters, I also stewed some of them in my Instant Pot, cooled them and froze them in freezer bags. This fantastic tasting tomato sauce is what was the turning point.

Once I figured out tomato sauce I quickly overcame my dislike of pasta. Usually adding a couple of vegetables increased the taste by a notch. Add grated cheese if needed and some tasty pasta was ready. Since I had fresh red chilies I started using those instead of chili powder.

Here is a very simple pasta dish with absolutely the minimum ingredients but we all like and enjoy it. I have used the same sauce for Penne, Fusilli and Farafelle and they all taste good. I only use whole wheat pasta because I like the texture better. Don't like the pasty texture of white pasta. I like Barilla or Deallo brands of dried pasta and sometime the local store brand and they all seem to work fine.

Usually I cook the pasta separately and add to the sauce but this time I decided to cook the pasta in the tomato sauce. It takes slightly longer but the taste of the pasta is even better.



Vegetables and Tomato sauce ready to be cooked.
In a sauce pot, add oil and saute the onions. Add in the zucchini and saute for a couple of minutes.
Now remove the zucchinis and set aside. Add in the tomato sauce.
Add in the Pasta and cook for the required amount of time. For whole wheat pasta 12-14 minutes.
Cook for 2-3 minutes till the broccoli is cooked but not mushy.
Cook for 2-3 minutes till the broccoli is cooked but not mushy.

Believe it or not it tastes even better the next day for lunch.

 photo IMG_3235_zpskfjozxhe.jpg

Pasta with Zucchini and Broccoli in Tomato Sauce
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients
  1. 2 Cups or about 8oz of dry Pasta (I used Rotini Whole Wheat Pasta)
  2. 1 cup of tomato pulp (stewed)* or crushed tomatoes or chopped 2 cups of tomatoes
  3. 1/2 cup of chopped onions
  4. 3-4 finely chopped garlic
  5. 4-5 green or red chilies (fresh) chopped fine or 1/4 -1/2 tbsp chili powder
  6. 2 Zucchinis slit in half and cut into 1/2 inch moons
  7. 1 head of broccoli separated into florets
  8. grated Parmesan cheese (skip for vegan)
  9. salt to taste
  10. 1/2 tbsp olive oil

  11. Note:Take cut tomatoes in an Instant Pot and cook for 25 minutes. Cool open and mash them. Separate into 1 cup measures and freeze.

Method
  1. In a stock pan or dutch oven heat oil and when hot add in the onions, chopped chilies and garlic and saute till the onions are translucent.
  2. If cooking pasta separately set the pasta to cook.
  3. Add in the zucchini and saute for a couple of minutes and then fish them out and set them aside.
  4. Now add the tomato sauce and if you are cooking the pasta in the tomato sauce add half a cup of water and let it come to a boil. Add salt.
  5. Add in the pasta and cook for 12-14 minutes till al-dente. I like it fully cooked or in other a bit over cooked so adjust time according to your liking.
  6. Once the pasta is cooked add the vegetables back in both zucchini and broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  7. Add grated Parmesan cheese and turn off the heat.
Sprinkle more Parmesan Cheese on top before serving.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.