Monday, November 16, 2020

Chili Paneer - Indo Chinese Style - 2

In late 2018 I decided to take a break from my software engineering job to concentrate on my second more interesting career - being a farmer. The first few months I took it easy, the weather was cold and there was nothing much to do in the farm. Then came the spring months where I was busy but the work plan that I had for the down time never got done. I mean the previous year I had my regular job and the farm work and both got done. Go Figure! Right? So I spent a year like this with many things that needed to be not being done. Then in the fall of that year when things were slowing down at the farm, my old job came calling. I thought why not and set the wheels in motion. But by the time the contract and everthing got setup, it was the first week of the Covid lockdown.

I knew that things were going to get really busy at the farm with the new growing season but I thought, hey I mananged once maybe I could do it again. But this time there was a slight problem, I had increased the growing area in the farm so was a bit apprehensive. But a funny thing happened I mean more like a aha moment, I was busier than ever but was able to do all of my office work, farm work and also house work which included cooking more than ever :) Thinking back on it now I am not sure how I managed. Since everyone was home, all pitched in and with people wanting to be outside in nature and volunteer it all worked out. I have also noticed that I enjoy my software work more when I have a lot of farm work. Go Figure! Right?

Actually that was not the point at all. The fact of the matter is that the more work I have to do the more I accomplish. The less work I have the less I accomplish. I am curious about the psychology behind this. I have been extremely thankful for all the work and it has helped me not fret about what is going on in the world and I have absolute no control over.

With that we will go on to today's recipe, who deosn't like Chilli Paneer, this is a quick version and with some noodles nothing can beat this. Indo Chinese is what I crave when looking for something away from the normal. Also I tried growing green onions this season with the single reason of making this paneer and Indo Chinese style noodles.

Chop the green onions, the green and white parts. Dice the bellpeppers into 1/2 inch pieces.
Chop the garlic into fines pieces and grate the ginger. Prepare the spices for the paneer.
Cut the paneer into bite sized cubes. Add the oil with the spices.
Mix the oil with the spices. Add the paneer cubes into the spices and toss it so they are well coated.
Heat the cast iron pan, add oil and when hot add in thegreen onions, ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
Add in the bell pepper and onions and saute till they are almost cooked.
Now add the paneer cubes and suate till the spices are cooked on the outside.
While I am a convert to paneer there are folks who simply adore it like my DDs. Nothing can be wrong with however paneer is cooked but this is one of their favorite recipes. Something I'd order whenever we go to a restaurant that makes Indo-Chinese food. But homemade is simply fresh and can't be beat.
Indo Chinese - Chili Paneer
Chili Paneer
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:15-20 minutes
Ingredients
  1. 1 block paneer, about 4 cups of cubed paneer
  2. 5-6 small bell peppers, seeded and cubed
  3. 1/2 red onion cubed
  4. 3 garlic cloves chopped fine
  5. 1 tbsp grated ginger
  6. 2 green chilies finely chopped
  7. 4-5 stalks of green onions
  8. 1 tbsp of oil
  9. For the Paneer
  10. 1 tsp turmeric powder
  11. 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
  12. 1/2 tbsp ginger powder
  13. 2 tsp of pepper powder
  14. 1 tsp of cumin powder
  15. 1 tsp of mustard powder
  16. 1/2 tbsp of red chili powder
  17. salt to taste
  18. 1 tbsp olive oil
Method
  1. Mix all the spices listed under 'For the Paneer' along with the oil and make a paste.
  2. Add the paneer cubes and toss so they are well coated. This can be prepared the previous night/ahead of time.
  3. In a cast iron pan add oil and when hot add the grated ginger and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes, take care not to burn it.
  4. Add in the green onions and saute till they wilt.
  5. Add the cubed onions and the bell pepper and saute till the required level of cooking is reached, bell pepper does not have to be cooked too much so do it till your preference is reached.
  6. Now add the paneer and saute for 4-5 minutes. Till the outsides seal and the spices look cooked.
Serve with noodles or steamed rice. Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.