I will for now talk about this recipe as talking about something without doing something about it is not really very productive.
When cooking with minced goat meat or kheema and using a pressure cooker there is always a chance it might go dry as it finishes cooking. Adding water takes away from the taste. So my aunt for instance adds cabbage. I had some eggplants and added that to the kheema. The eggplants provides the moisture for the cooking and the almost mashed eggplants once they are cooked gives a nice smooth and moist texture to the kheema.
Goat meat can be substituted with minced lamb, turkey or chicken. Minced goat can be purchased from halal stores, some Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi grocery stores. A very good quality chicken or meat masala powder is good to be used for this recipe. Also for those of you who are not familiar with these masalas these powders are used for meat/poultry dishes but they by themselves do not have any meat or poultry in them. They are vegan by themselves. The reason for this explanation - one blogger a while ago questioned if these masala powders were vegetarian or not. Really!
Here is the recipe in pictures.
|Heat the oil, add the seasonings, add the onions, garlic and ginger saute followed by the tomatoes .|
|Add the chopped eggplants, cook for a few minutes. Then add the kheema and the spice powders and mix them well.|
|Add salt and coriander leaves, put the lid and weigh on and let cook for 3 whistles. When cool open the lid and cook for 6 minutes more till most of moisture is evaporated.|
We had them with home made corn tortillas.
Minced Goat with Eggplant
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs of minced goat meat
- 1 cup of chopped red onion
- 4-6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- 1 tomato finely chopped (optional)
- 6-10 green chilies minced or slit in half (the number depends on how hot the chilies are)
- 2 cups of finely diced eggplant
- a handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp of meat or chicken masala powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp of oil
- seasoning - 1 tsp of fennel seeds, 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- In a pressure cooker heat oil, when hot add the seasonings followed by the finely chopped onions and the green chilies.
- Saute the onions till they are nice and brown. Add in the garlic and ginger and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the minced tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes start to fall apart.
- Add in the eggplant and saute for a couple minutes more.
- Add in the minced meat, the meat masala powder, turmeric powder and chili powder if using. Mix well. Add salt and the coriander leaves.
- Close the pressure cooker, put the weigh on and let cook for 4 whistles and turn off the heat. (for poultry just 2 whistles should be enough)
- Open the lid and if there too much moisture cook on open heat for about 6-8 minutes.Serve with rice or Indian bread of any kind.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!