Summer time around here is when we get fruits and vegetables at their freshest. If you grow them even better. I was starting to tire of my usual weekday breakfast fare - oatmeal, avocado or egg on toast, bagels. Pretty pathetic really nothing that makes you want to jump and want to eat breakfast.
So wanting something quick but something refreshing I did this for a day and have been craving for it every day. I had fresh cucumber, tomato bursting with flavor obviously since it came off the plants I grew ;) and some farm fresh peaches one day and some store bought pineapple the next.
So the trick is a few crunchy vegetables and some fruits and the dressing does not have to be fancy. If you have yogurt or sour cream and some pickles or hot sauce you should be set. You can skip the dressing altogether for a vegan version. This is not so much of a recipe as an idea to keep away from the boring and the carb and sugar loaded stuff that passes off as breakfast.
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables with Yogurt Dressing
Preparation Time: 5 - 10 minutes
- 1 cucumber cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 ripe small tomatoes cubed
- a few basil leaves (optional)
- 1/2 -1 cup of pineapple / peach cubed
- 2 tbsp sour cream or yogurt
- 2 tsp of pickle of your choice - tomato thokku or mango thokku or some hot sauce any kind
- 2 tsp of honey
- Whisk the yogurt with the pickle or sauce till it is smooth. If you'd rather stick to something sweet use the honey instead of the spicy pickle or sauce.
- Julienne the basil leaves and
- Combine with all the fruits and vegetables.
- Pour the prepared dressing over the fruits and vegetables. Toss to combine.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!