Let's move on to the recipe,
Mushrooms are versatile and come in handy for a quick simple or grand meal. It is big favorite of DD2 and so I buy it at least every other week. While a dry mushroom pepper fry is the most quickest and easy way to prepare mushrooms and is by far her favorite, making a spicy creamy gravy as a side dish for some Indian flat breads is my favorite.
I was looking for a recipe for mushrooms gravy when I came across this recipe I had seen on Sindhi Rasoi. I especially like the no grinding part and using the pressure cooker. You can cook the mushrooms in no time.
|In a pressure cooker, saute the onions, tomatoes and green chilies along with the ginger, add a cup of water and let it pressure cook for 3 -4 whistles.|
|Chop the mushrooms into desired shape and soak the cashews in water.|
|Once the pressure is released mash the onion - tomato mixture and add in the spice powders.|
|Add in the chopped mushrooms and mix it. Let it cook for about 6-8 minutes.|
|Blend the cashews to a smooth paste and mix it not the mushroom gravy, add salt and cook till the desired consistency is reached. Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves.|
Serve the creamy and also spicy gravy with any kid of Indian flat breads or rice or even toasted bread.
Mushroom Masala GravyLike what you are reading? Subscribe!
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:30 minutes
- 1 lb of Cremini Mushrooms (cut into 4)
- 1 1/2 red onions chopped fine (about 2 cups of chopped onions)
- 5-6 green chilies chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped tomato
- 1/2 tbsp of grated ginger
- 1/2 tbsp of kuzhambu thool or any curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp of red chili powder or (1/2 tbsp of Kashmiri Chili powder + 2 tsp of red chili powder)
- 2 tbsp of cashews
- salt to taste
- handful of coriander leaves
- 2 tsp of oil
- seasonings: cumin seeds
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and when hot add cumin seeds.
- Add in the chopped onions and green onions and saute till the onions starts to brown. Add in the ginger and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute, add a cup of water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.Let the pressure release and use a masher to gently mash the onions and tomatoes.
- Add in the turmeric powder, chili powder and the kuzhambu thool and mix it in.
- Turn the heat to medium and add in the chopped mushrooms and mix it in and let it cook for about 8-10 minutes. The mushroom will release enough so there is no need to add any extra water.
- Add in the blended cashew paste and salt and mix it in and let it boil for another 5 minutes or so or till the desired consistency is reached.
- Add the coriander leaves and turn off the heat.