Occasionally I get into the "What If" thinking. I know it serves no purpose but I do it anyway. My recent What If scenario has been "What If Al Gore had been elected president in 2000?".
This Fish Kulambu recipes is from mom. It is a traditional recipe that never fails. There is not much you can do wrong here. I had Salmon on hand so used Salmon but any fish that does not fall apart easily should be good.
1. 2 Salmon Fillets cut into 3 x 3 inch pieces
2. Tamarind juice about 1 cup
3. One big Red Onion chopped fine
4. 2 Tomatoes chopped (optional)
5. 6-8 garlic gloves sliced
6. Seasoning mustard, cumin, urad dal and methi seeds about a pinch of each and curry leaves
7. 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1. 2 Tbsp Corriander seeds
2. 2 tsp Vendhayam (methi seeds)
3. 2 tsp peepercorns
4. 3-4 Red Chillies
Saute the above in a tsp of oil till the corriander seeds start to brown remove from heat and make into a paste.
Paste 2 (optional)
1. 2 tbsp of grated coconut made into a paste
1. 2 tsp of methi seeds dry roasted and powdered. (don't blacken them they taste bitter)
1. Wash the fish, mix it with turmeric powder and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add the seasonings, mustard last, when the mustard starts to splutter add the onion and saute till translucent.
3. Add the garlic pieces cook for a few minutes, add the tomatoes and cook till soft.
4. Add a tsp of turmeric powder, mix add Paste 1 and tamarind juice and enough water and let the mixture boil.
5. Add salt and when it is fully cooked and almost near the consistency you desire
add Paste 2 and cook for a minute then add the fish pieces and cook for a few more minutes. The fish pieces cook really quick so add them near the very end.
6. Add the methi powder and remove from fire.
Serve hot with rice.