I on the other hand am ready to watch the fun. We don't have cable TV which helps but I can't stand any of them running for office and don't care about any of them in either party anyway. If Bush made Obama possible, Obama made Trump possible. It is a swift race to the bottom of the civility track. The losers most definitely are we the people.
That is that and we will move on to some other interesting stuff for now. Like this amazingly simply one pot meal with brown rice. Peanuts is one of those things that is very popular around our house and we all prefer boiled peanuts to roasted peanuts. While it is not that easy finding fresh peanuts, dried raw peanuts are available anytime. Combined with green beans this one pot meal is just the thing for a busy weekday dinner.
If you are not fond of peanuts you can use any beans or peas or corn. You can cook this meal on the stove top but I prefer using the pressure cooker. It is a quick weak night meal after all. If pressure cooker is not your thing, saute the spices and vegetables and mix with the rice and transfer to a electric cooker and then go about your business.
Brown Rice with Green beans and Peanuts
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
- 2 cups of brown wash and soak for about 20 minutes (I used Sona Masuri brown rice)
- 2 cups of chopped onions (the more the better)
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- 2-3 chopped or grated garlic (optional)
- 2-3 cups of cut green beans
- 1 cup of raw peanuts
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp red chili powder or about 6 slit green chilies
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder + 1 tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp of oil
- seasonings: stat anise, cloves and bay leaves
Serve with some raita and applam (pappad).
- In a pressure cooker add oil and when hot add the seasonings and let them be in the hot oil for a minute.
- Add in the onions and saute till they are nice and brown. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute more.
- Add in the turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin and pepper powders and mix it in.
- Add in the green beans and give a good mix, followed by the rice and mix it in.
- Add in the peanuts and mix. Add the required amount of water (for brown rice 1 : 1.5 cups of water).
- Add salt and let the water come to a boil. Place the lid and weight and cook for 3 whistles.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!