I gave it a try and it was well worth it. The only problem is, shallow frying would have been better but I did a roast which made the masala and potatoes separate from each other.
|Mix the chili paste with the ginger garlic paste.|
|Add in the tamarind pulp and curry leaves.|
|Add in the barely cooked potatoes followed by the rice flour and mix it in as well.|
|Once the rice flour is mixed in. Heat oil in a pan and cook the potatoes.|
It goes very nicely with any kind of flavored rice - tamarind rice or lemon rice in particular. We had them with some quinoa puliodharai.
Masala Potato Varuval -
Preparation Time:5 minutes + 20 minutes (for soaking)
Cooking Time:15 minutes
- 4 Medium Size Potatoes (boiled so it just barely cooked and diced into cubes)
- 4 red chilies soaked in about 1/4 cup of water and blended to a paste
- 3 garlic and 2 inch piece of ginger - made into paste
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of pepper powder
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp from a 2 inch piece of tamarind
- a handful of curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of rice flour
- 1/2 tbsp of oil Or 1/4 cup of oil if shallow frying
- In a mixing bowl take the blended chili paste, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, salt, curry leaves and the tamarind pulp. Mix them together. Add in the potatoes and mix them together.
- Add in the rice flour and mix it in gently so that the potatoes are well coated.
- Heat oil a wide mouthed pan and add in the potatoes and toss them around till the potatoes are well roasted. If shallow frying, cook the potatoes in two batches.
Perfect side dish for any rice dish.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!