Spicy RelishWhile I made spicy cranberry relish DD made the sweet cranberry relish. The spicy relish goes well with rice whereas the sweet relish is great on crackers. I have also tried making cranberry thokku like we do with tamarind for rice. That is a good recipe too. If you have fresh cranberries give these a try.
Cranberry Relish - Spicy Ingredients
- 1 cup of fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion or shallots
- 6 green chilies
- 1/2 tbsp jaggery or any sugar
- 1 tsp of red chili powder
- seasonings: mustard seeds and curry leaves
- 1 tsp of oil
- salt to taste
Cranberry Relish - Sweet
- In a sauce pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add in the green chilies and onions and saute till the onions are slightly brown.
- Add in the cranberries with the heat set to below medium high.
- Add in the chili powder and salt and cook smashing the cranberries with the back of the spoon.
- When all the cranberries are softened (take about 10 minutes) add the jaggery and turn off the heat in another 5 minutes.
- 1 Cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- a pinch of nutmeg
- In a saucepan add the cranberries, sugar,cinnamon stick and 1 cup of water and let it come to a boil
- The cranberries should start popping, add in the orange juice and cook for 8-10 minutes till the water has evaporated and all the cranberries have popped and the mixture is smooth.