Friday, December 30, 2011

Cranberry Thokku (Relish)

I have been watching 'Prime Suspect' on NBC this season and it has become one of my favorites. Since it comes at a time that is a little too late I usually watch them online. It is based off the popular British one 'Prime Suspect' starring Helen Mirren. I have watched a few of the shows on PBS of course with fantastic acting by Helen Mirren. of course right? I wanted to buy the DVDs but a bit too pricey. So for now I will settle for the American version which is pretty good by the way. Any of you watch Prime Suspect?

As we are saying good bye to 2011 I will leave with you a recipe for cranberry thokku - a sweet,sour and spicy relish. I bought them for Thanksgiving to make the thokku during the holiday but never got to them. I made them on a weekday night when there was nothing else in the fridge and I am glad I did, a few more days the cranberries would have gone straight to the compost. The idea for this is from a friend who shared some of the thokku her friend made for her when she was visiting her.

Wishing you a Very Happy New Year!

 photo cranberrythokku_zpsfnk6d6rm.jpg/>

Cranberry Thokku - Sweet, Sour and Spicy Relish
Ingredients
1. 2 pack of fresh cranberries (12 oz each)
2. 1/2 red onion chopped fine (optional)
3. 5 cloves of garlic (optional see note)
4. 10 red chilies split
5. 4 tsp red chili powder
6. 1 tsp of roasted fenugreek powder
7. 2 tbsp jaggery
8. salt to taste
9. 2-3 tbsp sesame oil (or any oil)
10. seasoning - mustard seeds and curry leaves

Method
1. In a wide mouthed pan heat oil and add the mustard seeds, when they pop add the curry leaves.
2. Add the red chilies and onions and saute till the onions are translucent and starting to turn brown. Add the garlic and saute for a minute more.
3. Add in the cranberries, turn the heat to just below medium and let the cranberries start to break and become soft - about 10 minutes.
4. Add in the red chili powder (if required), jaggery and salt and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add more oil if required. Sprinkle the fenugreek powder just before turning off the heat.

Cool and store in bottles. Stays for a week outside and maybe longer and about a month in the fridge.

Note:
1. onion and garlic are optional. They reduce the shelf life.
2. More the oil, longer the shelf life.

5 comments:

  1. Doesn't that look festive and delicious! It's a grey rainy day here, busy doing nothing.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched Prime Suspect, looked on google and seems interesting, might keep an eye on it.
    Even though I have not commented much, but your blog is one of my favorite!
    Wishing you a happy and a great new year, ISG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats my type of dish...perfect with anything.
    wish you and your family a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. first time in your space...i just loved this cranberry relish...they look absolutely delicious....I'm ur new follower now...do visit my space sometime :-) wishing u n ur family a very happy new year !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish to have some super tempting thokku,looks fabulous..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.