Based off this Tindora Masala recipe.
Tindora Masala Rice
1. 2 cups of parboiled Ponni rice (use any rice you prefer)
2. 2 lb of Tindora (or about 4 cups of cut Tindora) ends trimmed and slit lengthwise into 4 pieces
3. 1/2 cup (or 1 cup) of chopped onions or shallots
4. 5 green chilies slit lengthwise
6. 5-6 garlic cloves chopped fine
7. 1/2 inch piece of ginger grated
8. 1 tbsp kuzhambu thool or 1/2 tbsp coriander powder + 1/2 tbsp red chili powder
9. 1 tsp red chili powder (only if needed)
10. 3 small tomatoes chopped fine
11. 1 tsp turmeric powder
12. salt to taste
13. seasonings: 1 tsp cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves
14. 2 tsp oil + 2 tsp of ghee
1. Wash and soak the rice for about 20 minutes.
2. In a pressure cooker or rice cooking pan and oil and when hot add the mustard followed by the curry leaves when the mustard starts to pop add the onions and green chilies and let the onions turn translucent.
3. Add in the garlic and ginger and saute for a few more minutes.
4. Add the turmeric powder, masala powder and chili powder and give a good mix.
5. Add the chopped tomato and let it become mushy.
6. Add in the tindora, salt and let it saute for 6-8 minutes. Drain the rice and saute it along with the masala for about 4-5 minutes.
7. Now add the required amount of water for the rice and let it come to a boil. Check for salt at this time and add in a few drops of ghee.
8. On medium heat continue cooking till the water is 3/4 th absorbed. Close the lid and place the weight( or if cooking in a regular pan close the lid) and reduce the heat to just below medium. Cook for 8 minutes and turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Open the lid and fluff the rice.
Serve with raita of any kind.