Talking of TV, of all the cook shows, Jacques Pepin's recipes and dishes are the ones that I mostly try out. I adore the minimal ingredients that he uses to dish some delicious looking dishes. The ones I have tried also tasted good which is always a very good thing.
A few days ago I saw this recipe for a Ragout with beans, sausage and broccolini. It looked good, was a one pot meal, had beans and was carb. free. I have used chicken sausage to be specific chipotle chicken sausage. Guess any kind of sausage or any soy based fake meat can be used.
White beans work best for this recipe. I wouldn't add kidney or black beans. I have used small navy beans. The original recipe uses Cannelinni beans.
Stew/Soup with Chicken Sausage, Navy beans and Broccolini
1. 3 chipotle chicken sausage, casing removed and crumbled
2. 1 bunch of broccolini about 2 cups chopped
3. 1 1/2 cup of dried navy beans soaked overnight
4. 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions
5. 3 garlic cloves chopped
6. 2 tsp of cayenne pepper
7. 1/2 tsp of black pepper
8. 3 cups of chicken broth (or water)
9. salt to taste
10. 2-3 tsp of oil
1. Cook the navy beans to soft, I cooked them on the stove top for 20 minutes
2. In a pan heat oil and when hot add the sausage and let it cook till it loses the reddish tinge and is cooked through
3.Add the chopped onions and let it get browned, add in the garlic and saute
4. Add the chopped broccolini and let it cook for 3-4 minutes
5. Add in the drained cooked beans, cayenne and black pepper and give a good mix
6. Pour in the chicken broth, let it come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium heat, cover with the lid and let cook for 8-10 minutes more.
7. Taste and add salt if required.