Your kids are ok with taking rice to school you ask? Mine are! If you have problem with them taking rice then of course you are out of luck.
I used kale but any green should be fine including dill. The kale does not melt away and has texture even after it is cooked with rice. Collards will work great too. If you are lucky to get drumstick leaves go ahead and try with that.
The recipe is pretty simple. Onions, ginger, garlic and tomatoes and that is pretty much it. Green chilies can be added for heat instead of the red chili powder. It gets even more tasty after a day.
Spicy Kale Pulav - Keerai Sadam
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
- About 4-5 cups of finely chopped kale
- 1 1/2 cups of long grain rice (I used Basmati Rice) washed and soaked
- 1 onions thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp grated garlic
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tomatoes about 1/2 cup finely diced
- 6-7 green chilies slit or 1/2 tbsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp of oil
- seasonings - cumin seeds and mustard seeds
Serve with raita or chips.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil and add the seasonings. Add in the onions and saute till they start to brown. If adding green chilies add it along with the onions.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and saute it for a minute more. Take care not to burn the ginger and garlic.
- Add in the turmeric powder and red chili powder if using and the cumin powder. Mix it in well.
- Now add the kale and saute it for a few minutes till it starts to wilt and reduce in volume.
- Add in the drained rice and salt and saute for a couple of minutes more.
- Add enough water for the rice. For Basmati I add a little less than 1 1/2 cups for 1 cup of rice if they were soaking. Bring the water to a boil, lower the heat and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Give the rice one good mix and making sure the rice is submerged in the water, add more salt if required. and then cover the lid, place the weight and in medium low heat cook for about 8-10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Let it sit for 20 minutes before opening the lid and fluffing the rice.
- Note:Do not wait for the pressure to release when cooking Basmati rice, the time is more of an indicator than the pressure releasing.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!