This is a big favorite around here and it is enjoyed by the kids. I usually make 2 batches, refrigerate one and bake the other one. The convenient thing with this is I usually cook it in the toaster oven and not having to fire up the big oven makes things that much more simpler.
The most amount of time taken is for cleaning the jalapenos, meaning splitting them in half, remove the seeds and the ribs. I keep the potatoes just plain, add onions sometimes but otherwise keep it pretty bland. I usually only have spicy cheese, so adding no spice to the potatoes made the most sense. In case you are using plain cheese you can add a bit of spice to the potatoes.
|Boil and mash the potatoes. Mix the grated cheese with the potatoes.|
|Stuff the potatoes into the jalapenos.|
|Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake in the toaster oven till crisp.|
Stuffed Jalapeno ChiliesLike what you are reading? Subscribe!
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:20 - 30 minutes
- 20-30 jalapenos, slit, seeds and ribs removed
- 2 potatoes (a drier potato like Russet works best)
- 1/4 cup of onions chopped fine (optional)
- 1 cup of grated cheese (I used pepper jack cheese)
- 2 tsp of oil
- Cook the potatoes whole in their skin. I usually use a pressure cooker. Once cooked drain the water and let it get to room temperature.
- Using a potato masher or with a back of a ladle mash the potatoes till smooth.
- If using onions, in a saute pan add oil and saute till the onions get soft. Mix the onions into the potato mixture.
- Take half of the grated cheese and mix it into the potato mixture as well.
- Take about 1/2-3/4 of the potato mixture and stuff into the jalapeno.
- In a toasting pan line with aluminum foil. Rub oil on the foil and arrange the stuffed jalapenos in the pan. You can sprinkle the cheese now on top now or do it later once the potatoes have started to brown
- In the toaster pan bake the jalapenos for about 10-15 minutes till the potatoes start to brown on top.
- Once the potatoes are brown sprinkle cheese on the potatoes and broil them them for another 8-10 minutes till they get crispy on the top.