Bread that soaks up the eggs and the milk will be the perfect candidate for soft and tasty french toast. Before I go to the recipe - the bread needs some time. I spend an inordinate amount of time in front of the bread aisle to find a bread loaf with just the 5 basic ingredients which I have realized is almost impossible. There are a few brands and a few of their breads might come to about 10 ingredients and that is the closet I have come in my quest for bread with just the bread ingredients, flour,salt, oil and maybe a tiny bit of sugar.
I saw this article on Food Babe and besides making me crazier than I already was showed me a few pointers on what I needed to avoid while buying bread. We always have a couple of loaves of bread sitting in the pantry/fridge and it is only good that I check out what is in them.
|Take the eggs, milk and preferably whisked fruit jelly in a bowl. Whisk them so they come together.|
|Dip a slice of bread in the egg mixture and place it on a hot oiled griddle or frying pan. Cook on one side for 2-3 minutes.|
|Flip and cook on the other side for a couple more minutes. Serve with some maple syrup drizzled.|
I noticed Rudi's bread which came somewhat close to the list of ingredients I was looking for in bread. The bread I use here is the Multigrain Oat kind. Any kind of bread which works for you is good for this recipe.
Fruit Jelly French Toast
Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp raspberry jelly (any jelly or jam will work)
- 10-12 slices of bread
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!
- Use a whisk and whisk the fruit jelly before adding to the milk and eggs (I did not do this and had some lumps).
- Whisk together eggs, milk and the fruit jelly till they come together in a wide mouthed bowl so it is easy to dip the bread in.
- Take a slice of bread dip in the egg mixture. Don't let soak for more than 20 seconds.
- Heat a griddle or a frying pan, spray with oil, bring the heat to medium. Place the soaked bread on the hot pan.
- Let cook for about 2-3 minutes, flip and cook on the other side for a couple more minutes.
- Repeat for all slices of bread.Enjoy with some maple syrup drizzled on top.