So among all the bad eating it is good to mix it up with simple but good foods like this Kale paruppu. Nothing fancy but taste good with its simple flavors. I read that kale leaves get sweeter as it gets colder and now I have proof. The plant is hardy enough to take the frost and even a light dusting of snow. The good news is the kale plants are still alive after the November cold wave. The leaves do not grow as long but the ones that are in the plant sure are sweeter.
|Wash and drain the kale leaves. Cook the lentils and keep them ready.|
|Add oil in a pan and add the seasonings. Add the onions, green chilies saute till the onions are starting to brown. Add the powders - turmeric, cumin and pepper powder. Add the kale leaves and saute till the leaves wilt.|
|Once the leaves have wilted add the cooked lentils and salt and let it come to a boil.|
If you prefer you could treat this kale paruppu as a soup and it is perfect in the biting cold.
Kale leaves paruppu - Kale leaves with lentils - split pigeon peas
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
- 1/2 cup of toor dal/ split pigeon peas -or any lentil of your preference - moong, masoor(split red lentil)
- 2-3 cups of washed and chopped kale leaves
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions / shallots
- 5-6 green chilies + 1 red chili for color
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- a pinch of cumin powder + 1 pinch of pepper powder
- seasonings: curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds
- 1 tsp oil (or ghee)
- salt to taste
- Pressure cook the lentils with 1 1/2 cups of water and a couple of drops of sesame oil till it is soft and can be mashed. (see note:)
- In a pan heat oil, add the seasonings cumin seeds followed by the mustard seeds and when the mustard seeds pop, add the curry leaves followed by the onions and green chilies. Saute till the onions are starting to brown on the edges.
- Add in the turmeric powder, cumin and pepper powders and give a good mix.
- Add in the kale leaves and saute for 2-3 minutes. The leaves will shrivel.
- Add in the mashed cooked dal/lentils along with salt. Let come to a boil.
- Note:Turmeric powder can be added while cooking the lentils but due to splattering when cooking in a pressure cooker it can be added during seasoning.
- You can run the kale leaves through a food processor to chop them into finer pieces if preferred.Simple but extremely tasty dal is ready to serve with rice or as a soup.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!