Anyway we usually buy steamed crabs hit with a ton of Chesapeake bay seasoning. This time I got a bit more adventurous and wanted to try cooking some fresh crabs. Bought about a dozen home and managed to keep them alive over night,
For the not squeamish readers I will post the step by step to cleaning a crab soon. While the body and bigger claws can be used in the curry the smaller claws with not as much meat does not have to be thrown away. They can be used to make some delicious soup.
|Chop the onions, tomatoes and garlic. Blend the onions and garlic first. Set aside and then blend the tomatoes.|
|Wash and clean the crab claws with turmeric powder. In a pressure cooker heat oil and season with cumin seeds and curry leaves.|
|Add the blended onions and garlic, saute for 3-4 minutes. Add in the blended tomatoes.|
|Coarsely powder pepper an cumin seeds. Add the powdered pepper along with coriander leaves to the tomato mixture.|
|Add in the cleaned crab claws along with 4 cups of water.|
|Pressure cook for 6-8 whistles. Separate the crab claws.|
|Strain the liquid add more seasonings (salt and pepper) if required and serve.|
This recipe is from my mom and this is how she makes crab soup. Very simple ingredients and the end result is delicious.
Indian Style Spicy Crab Soup
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
- Small claws of about 10-12 crabs slightly mashed up with a hammer.
- 1/2 cup or 2 juicy tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger chopped or grated
- 3 tsp pepper corns (or as per taste)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves + few cumin seeds
- handful coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of oil
- 1 tbsp of cooked crab meat
- Set the claws in a pot of water with turmeric powder and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then wash it with 2-3 changes of water.
- Using a blender or food processor mince the onions and garlic. Set aside.
- Coarsely powder the pepper corns and cumin seeds.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add the cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add in the minced onions and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Mince the tomatoes and add it to the onion mixture along with the minced ginger.
- Add the powdered pepper and cumim and coriander leaves.
- Add in the cleaned claws and turmeric powder along with 4 cups of water.
- Add salt and let it cook for 6-8 whistles. Let cool.
- Strain out the claws from the liquid. Check for heat and salt and heat it for 5 more minutes.Separate into individual cups and garnish with crab meat and serve.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!