A meat that I like would never get into ice cream or cookies. No way. I do not like any meat that much.
On our last visit to the grocery DH chanced upon turkey bacon. I tried to move away from the area as fast as possible. A small argument ensued and the turkey bacon got into the cart. So did a basket of sliced mushrooms. That is DH's style, make others do the work and make it easy on yourself. Anyway one evening the sliced mushrooms were sauteed with chopped turkey bacon with some seasonings. The kids liked the turkey bacon and I tasted it with every mind not to like it. Surprise! Surprise! the turkey bacon was not half as bad and I liked it too.
So when I had no vegetables in the fridge and the turkey bacon came in very handy. These are very good on a slice of toast or as a side dish with rice or bread. The turkey bacon has turkey, brown sugar and salt. The slightly salty sweet taste of bacon is what made it tasty for me. I guess it cannot hurt for the taste to have sugar in anything. Whether it is good for you or not is another matter altogether.
Sauteed Turkey Bacon with Mushrooms
Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 5 green chilies chopped into thin rounds and most of the seeds removed
- 5-6 slices of turkey bacon cut into thin strips
- a sprinkle of salt if required
- 1 tsp of oil
Serve as a side or on a toast.
- In a wide mouthed pan/saute pan heat oil and when hot add the chopped green chilies, saute for a minute or two till the chilies start to crisp a bit.
- Now add the bacon and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the washed and sliced mushrooms and cook them at high heat. Keep it in high heat till most of the water evaporates.
- The mushrooms will be cooked by this time, saute for a few more minutes. Sprinkle some salt if required.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!