Why a Lemon Pound Cake? In a whim we had purchased a box of Meyer lemons from where else? Costco. I like using Meyer lemons because they are slightly less tart then lemons or limes. These lemons had to be used before they started to rot. Good enough reason for making a lemon pound cake don't you think? All we had was white whole wheat flour and that was what was used to make the cake. These days we pretty much use the whole wheat flour for most of our baking needs and have not missed all purpose flour.
|Whisk the eggs and cream the butter and sugar. Mixed with the flour and read to bake|
|Baked and glazed with lemon glaze.|
The recipe that was chosen for making this cake was Martha Stewart's Glazed Lemon Pound Cake. DD halved the recipe to make one loaf. The extra lemon glaze was used for glazing some pecans. Mix pecans in the glaze and roast for 5-10 minutes for a crunchy sweet treat.
Glazed Whole Wheat Flour Meyer Lemon Pound Cake
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:50 + 25 minutes
- 1 stick or 8 tbsp of butter brought to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 3/4 cups of yogurt (used home made whisked yogurt) or buttermilk (see note)
- 1 cup of sugar (used raw sugar)
- 2 Eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon - 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking sodaFor the Lemon Glaze
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Butter rectangular tin pan. We used our 9 X 5 inch pans. Preheat the oven to 350 F
- With an electric egg beater whisk the eggs till it is nice and fluffy. Whisk in the butter and sugar till it is nice and creamy.
- Mix together the yogurt, lemon juice and lemon juice in a separate bowl.
- In am mixing bowl mix/whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Slowly add both the liquids till the dry ingredients are mixed with the batter. Do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes till a knife or tooth pick inserted in the middle come clean.
- Let rest for 25 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile prepare the glaze. Mix the lemon juice with the powdered sugar and pour over the cake. Let it rest overnight.Sweet and slightly tart and an excellent tasting cake.
- Note:I used whisked home made yogurt in place of buttermilk. Store bought yogurt might not work as well but will work in a pinch.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!