Anyway on days like this one, recipes like this California Barley Bowl will surely come in handy. The inspiration for this recipe came from 101 Cookbooks - California Barley Bowl. I had replaced too many ingredients I thought that using the same name was just not fair. Moreover I am not the green salad leaves eating kind anyway. Around here we are not fond of cold salads rather warms salads like these are much preferred.
Barley Bowl with lentils and Avocado
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:15 minutes
- 1 cup of barley cooked
- 1 cup of lentils (I used whole Masoor) - puy lentils or any other lentil can be used - if preferred substitute with roasted nuts
- 1 Avocado
- 1 lemon/lime (I used Meyer lemon)
- 1 tbsp of chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup of snow peas + 1 tsp of olive oil + salt and red chili powder
- Greek Yogurt
- Feta Cheese (we did not use any)
- 4 small Cucumbers sliced into rounds
- Cook barley till soft.
- Cook the lentils till soft and drain.
- Toss the snow peas with the olive oil, salt and red chili powder and roast till the peas are soft, I broil them till they are a bit dark and crunchy
- Roast the onions tossed with some oil
- Cut the Avocados into thin slices.
- In a bowl take some barley, some of the lentils, add some of the pickled jalapenos,roasted onions and snow peas and cucumbers. Squeeze the lime over the mixture.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek Yogurt. Sprinkle the feta cheese if using.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!