Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Grain of the Week - 5 - Black Rice (Forbidden Rice)

The minute I looked at this rice I had to buy it. Shiny and black. Certainly looked exotic. I came home and started to look around for information about the rice.

In Manipur, the north eastern state of India - black rice has its importance as a glutinous delicious rice and served during ceremonies and feasts. In ancient China, Black rice was so rare that only emperors could eat it and no common man could lay a claim to it. Hence the name forbidden rice. Source Wiki.




Looking for new grains is actually quite fun. I pay attention to grains that normally I would not have paid much attention to. This black rice is one such grain. Now I am on the look out for recipes to use this beautiful looking grain.


Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.