Purple Basil LeavesFried rice and basil might have been the best match that was not made in heaven but in a kitchen wok. I found this recipe on Williams Sonoma for basil fried and suited me just fine.
Thai Basil Fried Rice Preparation Time:15 minutes Cooking Time:25 minutes Ingredients
- 2 cups of Jasmine rice (cooked and cooled or day old rice)
- 10-12 shrimp
- 2 handfuls of fresh green beans
- 10-15 baby corn
- 2 bunches of green onions chopped - green and white parts
- 1 cup of red onion sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 cup of packed basil leaves
- 1 tbsp of sambal olek (or as required
- 2-3 tsp of soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp of fish sauce
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- Cook the rice and let it cool or get the old rice ready (about 4 cups of cooked rice)
- Mix half the sambel olek into the shrimp and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes
- In a wide mouthed pan heat oil and add the onions
- In a pan heat oil and saute the onions till they become translucent. Add the green onions and garlic and continue to saute till they wilt completely.
- Now add the green beans and cook for about 3-4 minutes and then add the baby corn along with the rest of the sambal olek, salt and let them cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add in the shrimp and let them cook for a minute till they start to turn pink about a minute. Fish them out and keep them aside. (See Note:)
- Now add in the basil leaves and saute for half a minute. Add in the rice now and mix it in well.
- Add the fish sauce, soy sauce and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so. Add the shrimp in and if required salt and turn the heat off in another minute or so.
do not overcook the shrimp. Once they are cooked remove them and add them when the dish is almost done.