Sunday, August 25, 2013

Case of mistaken identity - Guess this vegetable? Revealed and a Curry

OK! I had these creepers growing all over the garden. I weeded out quite a few of them. The seeds I am guessing came from the compost pile.

I thought it was one vegetable turned out to be quite another one altogether. The sad part it is not the first time it has happened to me.

Can you guess what the vegetable was mistaken and what it really is?

You know what?


Update:
Most of you guessed it to be squash or bottle gourd which is exactly what happened to me though the thought of squash did not enter my mind.

I thought that the vegetable was a bottle gourd. The reason why I harvested it way before it was ready :( I realized it was a butternut squash only after I cut it in half. It still had the characteristics of a butternut squash, creamy and slightly sweet and it went into making a simple curry with some black eyed peas.

3 comments:

  1. I saw this on your FB page and thought of commenting but the net is so whimsical these days. the curry has a very unique combionaion of vegetable and lentil but looks so comforting, especially with some rotis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sayantani, a very simple and quick curry. Bottle gourd or pumpkin will work too.

      Delete
  2. I love your beans n' squash curries, ISG! I would not have guessed that is a butternut squash, never saw one with such a narrow neck, and striped too. Looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.