Spices - clockwise from bottom, marathi moggu (capeberry), star anise, cinnamon, cloves in the middles - amount not indicative of what was used in the recipe.Once I harvested the peas for the season as I was pondering what to make it with it, facebook readers gave me plenty of ideas but in my mind this peppered fresh peas kept coming back to the top.
Peppered Rice with Fresh Green Peas - Pressure Cooker Method Preparation Time:10 minutes Cooking Time:25 minutes Ingredients
- 1 cups of Basmati Rice
- 2 cups of fresh peas or frozen
- 1 cup of sliced onions
- 2 sliced green chilies
- 1 tbsp of black pepper
- whole spices - cinnamon 1/2 inch, 2 cloves, a piece of star anise, a small tiny piece of marathi moggu (or capeberry)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of ghee
Serve with a raita of choice.
- Wash and soak the Basmati rice for about 20 minutes or so. In the meantime heat the ghee, do not overheat and add the whole spices. After about a minute add the sliced onions and slit green chillies and saute till the onions just start to brown. Do not let it get black.
- Add in the black pepper and saute for about 1/2 a minute. Now add the drained rice, salt and saute for about 6-8 minutes till the ghee is absorbed and the rice is looking shiny.
- Add the required amount of water and let it come to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let the rice be 3/4th cooked and the water almost absorbed. Add in the fresh peas, give a mix and close the pressure cooker. (If not using pressure cooker reduce the heat further and let all the water get absorbed and turn off the heat).
- Reduce the heat to a tad below medium and let cook for exactly 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and move the pressure cooker from the stove.
- Let rest and fluff with a fork.