Monday, May 6, 2013

Spicy Grilled Rack of Lamb with Indian spices

What kind of parent are you? That sounds kind of harsh. Wait wait nobody said that to me yet. Not on my face at least. OK this is what happened last week. DD2 disobeyed DH. She did not do something that she had been asked to do regularly and was grounded. The punishment? she cannot read her favorite book that had kept her occupied night and day while everything else fell on the way side. She moped around a little bit and moved on to read other stuff. I intervened and asked him to go easy on her but he did not budge. Not that he is the punishing kind and rarely threatens with consequences but if he does he follows through.

I on the other hand threaten dire consequences all the time but rarely if ever follow through. So they have learned that coming from me it is all bark and no bite. DD in a moment of utter honesty even told me why my threats don't matter much. Reverse positions I would have give in in a couple of hours and she would have been back to her favorite book and to doing what I asked her not to do. It is all my parents' fault. They rarely if ever punished me and I seemed to have taken a leaf out of their parenting manual but with a lot more yelling and screaming. Shame on me yes. A tiny part of me justifies my behavior saying what is the worst that can happen. These small mischiefs are is no big deal. DH tends to disagree.




There lies the parenting conundrum. We try our best to show an united front and not contradict one another when there is an argument. If we show disunity the kids are very smart and learn to pitch one against the other and end up doing whatever they want to do.

So which camp do you fall into? Stand firm or wobbly?
Now on to the recipe,

Lamb is not something that we regularly and a rack of lamb more so. DH on the other hand is very fond of lamb and cooking a rack of lamb is something he has wanted for a while. This time on our visit to Whole Foods he picked one up. My only condition was it has to be spicy and he found the perfect recipe here.

We decided on using some Indian spices to jazz it up a bit. To our surprise the grilled meat came out soft and juicy and tasty and it was the best we have tasted in a long time. The ones I have tasted at restaurants tend to be chewy and not that very good.

It is very important to marinate the meat for at least 4 hours else the meat might not absorb all the spices.



Spicy Grilled Rack of Lamb with Indian Spices
Preparation Time:20 minutes + 8 hours marination
Cooking Time:30 - 45 minutes
Ingredients
    For the marination
  1. 1/2 onion sliced
  2. 3 cloves of garlic chopped
  3. 1 tbsp of grated fresh ginger
  4. 3 tsp turmeric powder
  5. 1 tbsp red chili powder
  6. 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon
  7. 1/2 cup of whisked yogurt
  8. 1 tsp of pepper
  9. 1 tsp of cumin powder
  10. handful of chopped coriander leaves
  11. rock salt (regular salt will work as well)
  12. 1/2 tbsp lime juice
  13. For the sauce
  14. 2 tsp olive oil
  15. Marinade saved
Method
  1. Wash and dry the lamb and apply turmeric over it and let it sit.
  2. Mix together all the ingredients under the marination section in a wide mouthed pan and apply it over the lamb. Now transfer the contents to a Ziploc bag and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. We left it for over 8 hours.
  3. Preheat your gas or charcoal grill to about 350F. Gently remove the lamb from the marinade and wrap the bones with aluminum foil. Save the marinade.
  4. Place the rack of lamb on the grill, let grill on one side for 20 minutes, turn over and grill for another 15 minutes or so till done.
  5. For the sauce, As the lamb is grilling, heat a sauce pan and add the olive oil and when hot add the saved marinade and in medium heat slowly bring to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes.
  6. Serve lamb with brown rice and the sauce on the side.

6 comments:

  1. I want to be on the "stand firm camp" but I have to agree after few hours of incidence i'm in the "wobbly camp", and my 5th grader gives me really hard time with her book reading habit. I even once packed her so many books in a box.... have limited her no. of books she can borrow from library but still it's same....she forgets(ignores) her other chores & start reading where ever she is...

    Lamb looks delicious...I usually cook once in a couple of weeks(gravy kind) but grilling rack of lamb, it's on my/our to-do list from a long time....let's c when star aligns for this deliciousness in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spice, same here. Sometimes it is reading 2-3 books at the same time :( On the other hand when i complain there are parents who say it is so difficult to get their kids to read that I should be happy. So with yelling and promising dire consequences life marches on. I am not bold enough to punish though.

      I was also skeptical about grilling lamb but trust me this was delicious. Go ahead and give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Am not a parent ... so nothing on that. :-)
    But that grilled lamb has got me ... can't take my eyes off it. I had always thought mutton won't cook well without the pressure cooker. I must try this sometime ... looks so so good Indo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharmila, I was of the same opinion too, but good quality meat is important else it will turn out tough and chewy.

      Delete
  3. Wobbly like you :) Have seen racks of lamb at Costco but have never brought them home. Looks great for grilling
    So will it be done in 20+15 minutes ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandeepa, Costco? I have never seen them there.
      Yes once the grill is preheated 20 + 15 is all it took. If the lamb is tender it should get cooked in that time.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.